Who uses bitcoin AMTs (BTMs)?

crypto

In the early days when I wanted to buy some bitcoin I used localbitcoins who charges about 1% commission I think. Once bitcoin exchanges began to appear I started using them because I was able to purchase btc at a fraction of a percentage. They recently installed a BTM machine in my neighbourhood so I decided to give it a try and I was shocked by two aspects...

Firstly the BTC ATM asked for my fingerprint or a scan of my ID which seemed OTT because I was only buying $50 worth of bitcoin. Secondly the BTM fee for this transaction was 10% which seems ludicrously high.

Considering how intrusive and expensive BTM's are, I cannot understand why anyone uses these machine. Can someone please explain why they are popping up all over the place?

Marathonbet

Sometimes exchanges like Coinbase ask for multiple forms of ID, which many people don't have. In the United States only a small percentage of the population own passports. That means some US citizens might only own a drivers license, which isn't going to be enough at many bitcoin exchanges. Hence the popularity of bitcoin ATM's.